Aircraft


Back To Gallery: Aircraft
2Seat Spit Canadian DX
2Seat Spit Canadian DX
2Seat Spit Canadian DX Gallery: Aircraft Description: Spitfire M J 627 Tr9 was built at Castle Bromwich in December 1943 and was fitted with a Rolls Royce 66 engine. It entered service with 441 R C A F (Silver Fox) Squadron. Following an accident resulting in a crash landing, it was sold to Vickers Armstrong and converted to a two seat trainer for the Irish Air Corps in 1950 and based at Balclonnel near Dublin in 1951. Tim Davis bought it for spares for MH 434, it was stored at various locations until 1976. In 1976 it was bought by the Bayliss brothers and a long term restoration commenced at Kenilworth where it was fitted with a Merlin 76 engine. In 1989 it moved to Coventry for final restoration and first flight on November 1993. It had a landing accident on the 14th February 2002.Squadron Leader Paul Day carried out a post repair test and flew it to R A F Coningsby and on to its new base at East Kirby.
Views: 683 Loves: 0
Additional Info